Saturday, June 16, 2012

Gioacchino Assereto

Cerci

The other day – when I was looking at images of Circe that might work with the poem by John Fowles – the runner-up choice was the poison-brewing (or "wine-mulling") Circe above, painted by Gioacchino Assereto (1600-1649), an Italian Baroque artist previously unknown to me. I started looking at other Asseretos and getting more interested. Though Caravaggio had died in 1610, his influence was obviously still strong in the 1630s and 40s when Assereto was active. I like the way this forgotten painter's puppet-like figures tend always to be forcing their way toward the foreground, as if spiraling toward the viewer.

No book has yet been written about Gioacchino Assereto. Personally (if I were younger and richer) the project of researching and writing such a book would sound tempting. 

Isaac Blessing Jacob


St Mark the Evangelist

Perseus Freeing Andomeda


Tantalus

Lot and His Daughters


Lamentation


Sacrifice of Isaac